Humans tend to accept myths without any precise working example, and the same is the case with solar energy. There are several myths about solar energy and its installation for household purposes. We want to bring some attention to why these concepts about solar energy are an absolute myth.
1.Solar panels are expensive to install – Installation of the solar panels, and its cost depends on the size of the home and the system that will be required to fulfill the demand for electricity. Usually, a solar panel with its installation will cost you between $15,000 to $40,000 for the 3kW to 8kW solar system.
However, if you believe in self-confidence and plan out for DIY, it may not even cost you $15,000. The cost is considerably reduced, and the same system will be available for you at $3,000 to $10,000.
2. The Solar system payback after many years – There is a misconception among the local people that a solar system can start giving on ROI only after 25 years. But it is absolute bullshit.
The ROI of the solar system is dependent on the size of the solar system that is being installed. It also depends on the cost you bare at the start, and the amount of energy is stored.
If you start using the available stored energy, you may begin receiving your ROI at a very early stage, and invested money comes back in the initial 4 to 5 years itself.
3. People are waiting for the panel cost to reduce – In the 1970s, when solar energy costing was $76/watt, we accept that it was costly. But, now it has decreased considerably, and the present solar energy cost is $3/watt.
As a person, you can now judge that it will hardly fall from here. And this could be the lowest solar energy cost. So don’t just keep waiting to see some more reduction in the price.
4. A warmer place for solar panels to produce energy – It is misleading when someone says this. Solar panels are built to produce electricity using solar energy. So, in case if there is a lack of sunlight, cloudy climate, solar panels can still generate electricity using the stored energy that works as credits.
5. No light at night – As we said before, solar panels use sunlight to produce solar energy. Solar panels produce additional energy and store it as a credit for the night time.
6. Tracking system for sunlight – Solar panels are positioned in a way that it can store additional energy to fill the gap that is created during the absence of the sun.
7. Solar energy goes on working even if power is cut-off – It is assumed wrong that solar energy is still consumed if power is cut-off. Instead, solar panels have a system built inside it to stop consuming solar energy if power is cut-off. This provides a risk-free work environment to technicians working on getting the power back.
8. Batteries consume additional energy – The solar system built for household purposes does not have batteries installed in them. So it is an apparent myth that batteries store extra solar energy.
9. Solar panels cost more w.r.t. its maintenance – Given a situation, solar panels need its cleaning once in a month to keep it safe and clean. A few people wait for rains to wash out the unwanted dust. But, it is suggested that to keep solar systems working for longer-term, keep it regularly cleaned.
10. Solar panels damage rooftops – instead of damaging the roofs, solar panels keep it safe.
11. Solar panels are not pleasant in look – Years had gone when people used to feel bad having a solar panel on the roof. But, with different colors and attractive designs, people have started losing the myth from their minds.
12. It creates noise – Yes, you hear the sound of invertor. Else, if built outside the home, it can create a noise-free environment in the house.
13. Non-renewable energy is cheaper – Non-renewable energy source like fossil fuels is subject to a rate increase every year. Whereas solar energy is free and investment to build the panel is returned in the initial 4 years only.
14. Solar energy cannot be worked for a mass – It merely is bullshit that solar energy is not for mass. The sun provides energy that can keep every demand satisfied throughout the year in just 1 hour.
It’s no wonder why every country’s government is supporting solar energy and its usage rather than conventional energy. The government is also providing additional subsidies and tax benefits to individuals opting to invest in solar energy panels for their household use.